DIY tutorial: how to create paper flowers
Paper flowers are a great way to add color and life to any space, without the drawbacks of real flowers. They do not fade, do not require water and can be personalized according to your tastes and your interior decoration. If you want to know How to do and how to adopt paper flowers, discover our article dedicated to this new passion Flowrette!
In this article, we will show you and give you all our tips and advice to create superb paper flowers thanks to simple and effective techniques.
Start by choosing the right paper
To make beautiful paper flowers, it is essential to choose the right type of paper. Here are some options that work well:
- Crepe paper : This paper is one of the most popular for the creation of paper flowers, because it is easy to work with and offers an interesting textured effect. In addition, it is available in many bright and pastel colors.
- Cardboard paper: Cardboard paper is another current option for the creation of paper flowers. It is thicker than crepe paper and can give more volume and structure to your flowers.
- Silk paper : The tissue paper is very light and fine, which allows you to create delicate and aerial flowers. There are different colors and thicknesses, but it is more fragile than other types of paper.
The tools you will need
To create paper flowers, you will need some basic tools:
- Scissors well sharpened to cut the paper properly and with precision.
- Double-sided adhesive glue or tape to fix the different parts of the flower together.
- A pencil to draw petal shapes on paper before cutting them out.
- A rule to measure and cut uniform paper strips.
- Optional: a punch to create holes in the petals, leaves or to add additional details to your flowers.
Tutorial step by step to create paper flowers
Step 1: Cut your petals
Step 2: Add texture to your petals
It is possible to add texture to the petals using different techniques:
- Fold the paper: Make folds in accordion along each petal to add volume and texture.
- Ride the edges: Lightly roll the edges of the petals between your fingers to give a natural appearance and bent to the flower.
- Crush the paper: Gently crush the paper to create a more organic and realistic texture.
Step 3: Assemble the petals
Step 4: Add sheets and other details
To make your paper flowers even more realistic, add sheets and other details:
- Leaves : Cut out shapes of leaves in green paper, then add ribs with a pencil or pen. Glue the leaves at the base of the petals or on the flower stem.
- Flower center: For some flowers, such as the Marguerites or the Sunflowers, add a center by cutting a circle of paper of a contrasting color and fixing it in the middle of the petals.
- Stem : Use a pipe cure, a straw or a piece of wire covered with floral ribbon to create a solid and flexible rod. Attach the stem at the base of the flower with glue or double-sided adhesive tape.
Inspire yourself from different ideas for your creations
There are many ways to personalize your paper flowers:
- Play with colors: Create monochromatic arrangements, colored gradients or bold and lively mixtures depending on your taste.
- Mix different types of flowers: Combine paper roses, tulips and daisies to create various and interesting bouquets.
- Use recycled materials: Try to make paper flowers from old newspapers, magazines or pages of books for an ecological and original touch.
- Add accessories: Integrate pearls, rhinestones or feathers to give even more character to your creations.
By following these tips and tutorials, you can create magnificent paper flowers that will bring a touch of color and elegance to your interior decoration. Give free rein to your creativity and have fun experimenting with different types of paper, shapes and styles.
Choose your paper or box
If you have a doubt on which paper or what card to choose, we may have the solution for you with our article Which paper to choose for paper flowers.
This guide will help you choose the most suitable paper for your project, depending on your needs and your aesthetic preferences. Explore these resources to deepen your understanding and perfect your art of creating paper flowers.